March 21, 2008

Claus dies by euthanasia

Belgian writer, poet and artist Hugo Claus has died aged 78, ending his life by euthanasia, his wife has said. He had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease and had "picked the moment of his death", Veerle De Wit added. He died at Middelheim Hospital in Antwerp but no further details were given. Euthanasia is legal in Belgium.

Among his 200 works was The Sorrow of Belgium, a book about social injustice. He was once married to Sylvia Kristel, star of the Emmanuelle erotic films.

The former Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt was among those paying tributes to Claus, and said he imagined the onset of Alzheimer's must have been "inevitable and unbearable torture". "Almost no longer able to knead his words into clear phrases create the right expressions and metaphors.

I seriously don’t know what will happen in the end but I feel that if I got to that point, losing dignity I would do the same and this trying not to be pessimistic because the last year I give my fight with cancer.

No comments: